ConnectCare’s service to the community is rooted in the history of the St. Louis City public hospitals preceding it.
ConnectCare's history begins with the former Homer G. Phillips Hospital. In 1918, the city built a hospital to care for African-American patients and to train African-American physicians and nurses. As community needs grew, Homer G. Phillips, an African-American attorney, spearheaded the development of a larger hospital. Sadly, he was murdered before the 1937 dedication of the new hospital bearing his name.
Thousands of African-American medical professionals trained at Homer G. Phillips, which transferred its last patients to Max C. Starkloff City Hospital in 1979. When City Hospital closed a few years later, the city and county founded St. Louis Regional Medical Center to provide care for residents.
Regional's 1997 closing dealt a devastating blow to the patients it served. Officials and health care professionals quickly formed a consortium to address the issue of access to care. This lead to the creation of today’s Saint Louis ConnectCare.
In 1998, BJC HealthCare agreed to assist with ConnectCare's management during its’ first five years of operation.
Today, while no longer a hospital, ConnectCare is known as a valued community asset that serves as both a link to the past as well as a vision for the future of healthcare in the region.
ConnectCare’s Delmar campus is located in the former St. Louis Regional Medical Center.